Topic: backing up and restoring system dumps

hello,

ive managed to work out how to dump the sytem settings onto a midi interface through sonar on my pc - but what function on the nova do i need to access in order to transfer the saved settings back onto the nova from my pc? how is this done? is there a function in teh nova menu you have to be on so that it will recieve the system dump back to the nova?

Thanks

Re: backing up and restoring system dumps

I've looked at this too. I'd like to be able to back up my patches, but there doesn't seem to be anyway to restore them. So what's the point? Why do a midi backup if you can't restore them? I'm confused.

Hi, in order to restore your settings, you just have to send the sysEX file of the saved midi dump back to nova system.  Your Nova system is always in receive mode.

After you have send the Midi dump ( bank dump for Presets and system dump for global settings) you might need to powercycle your Nova system for Preset names to get updated.

worked fine for me.

Awesome. Thanks. I'll give it a go tonight.

I'd like to back up all my user settings, but the manual isn't clear (to me) about what is saved, or how to restore user presets data.

Per pg. 22 in user manual, "Dump System" is for a "complete system backup", while "Dump Bank" says "entire User bank". Is a "User Bank" just the 3 presets currently loaded on the Nova System, or ALL user presets?

Can someone explain how to restore user presets? If the Nova System is always in receive mode as Dicecream says, do I just "send" the SysEx data to it, and it will automatically know what to do with it?

Being in a constant SysEx "receive" mode seems like a potentially dangerous arrangement. What if it were part of a large MIDI system, and accidentally received SysEx data intended for another device? Does the Nova System only respond to SysEx data specific to the Nova System? Sorry for the neophyte questions, as I'm MIDI challenged, and just want to make sure I don't screw up the many hours I've put into programming my user presets.

Last edited by davidp158 (2009-11-07 21:03:21)

Question, About what size should the System Dump should be?   I know this will depend on users presets.  Mine says 526 bytes?

Last edited by Jawa (2010-01-27 21:29:18)

----
Michael

I'm not savy with MIDI, but I would assume the SysEx dump file size will depend on how many presets you've saved.

Can anyone recommend a small, portable MIDI recording device that I can save my user settings to (via SysEx dump)? I'd like to have some kind of backup at gigs, in the event I need to restore all my user settings. I don't bring a laptop to gigs, so that's not an option.

Jawa wrote:

Question, About what size should the System Dump should be?   I know this will depend on users presets.  Mine says 526 bytes?

I am confused about the difference between DUMP SYSTEM and DUMP BANK. On page 22 of the Nova System owner manual, for the DUMP SYSTEM, it says: "All the NS's basic settings and all user presets are sent via MIDI as a MIDI Data Dump."

Is it correct from this statement to assume that the DUMP SYSTEM saves everything (global user settings plus all banks of user presets), but BANK DUMP only sends a single bank, with just the 3 presets associated to that bank?

Is there a way to restore just a single bank? If so, how does one determine the destination bank it will end up in? The owner manual doesn't discuss how to do a restore, so I'm wondering if the currently selected bank is the one that it will write to.

Dicecream wrote:

Hi, in order to restore your settings, you just have to send the sysEX file of the saved midi dump back to nova system.  Your Nova system is always in receive mode.

After you have send the Midi dump ( bank dump for Presets and system dump for global settings) you might need to powercycle your Nova system for Preset names to get updated.

worked fine for me.

Is it correct from this statement to assume that the DUMP SYSTEM saves everything (global user settings plus all banks of user presets), but BANK DUMP only sends a single bank, with just the 3 presets associated to that bank?

Yes you are correct and I believe the banks are chosen from the last set you were on?

Is there a way to restore just a single bank? If so, how does one determine the destination bank it will end up in? The owner manual doesn't discuss how to do a restore, so I'm wondering if the currently selected bank is the one that it will write to.

I could be wrong but I do not think this is possible.

----
Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. The DUMP SYSTEM bit seems clear, but I am still wondering about the purpose of BANK DUMP. What would be the point of saving a single bank if we couldn't restore a single bank? I wish the owner manual explained this better, but I'm kind of MIDI-challenged, anyway. Here's what is stated on pgs 21/22 of the owner manual:

Dump System*
For a complete system backup, press MENU. All the NOVA System’s basic settings and all User presets are sent via MIDI as a MIDI Data Dump.

Dump Bank*
The entire User bank is sent via MIDI as a MIDI Data Dump when “Execute Dump"  is performed.

How to Dump via MIDI – Step by Step:
• Connect the NOVA System’s MIDI Out to the MIDI In of a MIDI sequencing device.
• Set your sequencer to record on all MIDI channels (“Omni" ) and start recording.
• Set the NOVA System to dump either all data (System) or User Bank (see above) and press ENTER.
*A computer with a standard MPU 401 MIDI interface is recommended and tested for best results.

Q: Does anyone know what a "MPU 401 MIDI interface" is, and if it differs from other MIDI interfaces?  I presume its some sort of MIDI specification.

I noticed this post from TC regarding MIDI interfaces:

MIDI interfaces for use with Nova System:

The list below is partly based upon tests done by TC, and reports coming in from users.  This does not denote a guarantee that an interface will work, as software updates can fail under certain system configurations.

These interfaces can be used for doing software updates:
    •    CME U2MIDI v2,
    •    Creative Soundblaster PCI-128,
    •    Edirol FA101,
    •    M-Audio Oxygen 8,
    •    Midiman USB Midisport 1x1, 2x2, 8x8 (old version of Midisport),
    •    MPU-401 compatible soundcards,
    •    Steinberg USB2,
    •    Terratec EWS88

These interfaces cannot be recommended for doing software updates:
    •    M-Audio Uno "Revision" (old version works)
    •    Creamware Luna II
    •    Edirol UM-1
    •    Edirol UM1S
    •    Edirol PCR-50
    •    Edirol SD-90
    •    Emagic MT4 & Unitor8
    •    RME FireFace
    •    RME HDSP Digiface & Multiface
    •    Steinberg MIDEX3
    •    Steinberg MIDEX8
    •    Turtle Beach Voyetra
    •    M-Audio Midisport 1x1
Please note: this does not mean that they’re bad MIDI interfaces; they are just unsuitable for software updates.

Jawa wrote:

Yes you are correct and I believe the banks are chosen from the last set you were on?

I could be wrong but I do not think this is possible.

David,

As a quick side note, I used this $6 cable to do do an update and backup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJ … WZR7E4TZJ7

----
Michael

Now THAT is a piece of gear we can all afford! Thanks for the tip.

Jawa wrote:

David,

As a quick side note, I used this $6 cable to do do an update and backup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJ … WZR7E4TZJ7

LOL.  I have a MOTU MIDI and I have to say this little gadget does the trick better.   Not sure if you are on mac or pc, but from my experience almost any of the free tools are fine.

----
Michael

Of course - if TC released some basic librarian software then life would be wondeful

I have a Digidesign Eleven Rack on order, and will probably be able to use that for SysEx transfers and software updates between the Nova System and my Mac.

My main concern is having a rare glitch at a gig, and needing to reprogram user presets. I've spent a lot of time tweaking them, and the factory presets are of no use to me at a gig. I'm just trying to have a safety net in the rare event I need to restore my presets at a gig.

Jawa wrote:

LOL.  I have a MOTU MIDI and I have to say this little gadget does the trick better.   Not sure if you are on mac or pc, but from my experience almost any of the free tools are fine.

I have had two glitches and I did the reset and it preserved all my settings. 

So David, wanna share some of your coolest presets?   :-)

----
Michael

Its encouraging to hear that a reset didn't wipe out your settings. Aside from a sticky STORE button, my Nova System has been trouble free. I put off buying one after reading about the early units freezing, but I think that is a thing of the past.

I should post my presets, but I have to write them down first. I currently play mostly blues, country and some rock, so none of my settings utilize heavy distortion or crazy effects. 

Jawa wrote:

I have had two glitches and I did the reset and it preserved all my settings. 

So David, wanna share some of your coolest presets?   :-)

I think some good blues and country would be quite welcome here!!

As a side note, I once plugged my NS into a wall (not power regulator or surge protector), the NS totally bugged out because  there was a minor decrease in current.  I could not switch banks or patches.  Plugging and re-plugging did nothing.  Doing a reset fixed it all!

----
Michael

My Nova System running on version 1.13 will not receive sysex MIDI bulk dumps. So I can back the thing up, but can't restore. TC support says this is a known bug and they are working on a fix, to be released with the next firmware update. Anyone else having this problem, or do you think I just have a defective unit and the support people are just blowing me off?

Martin / Schecter PT  / Fender Strat / TC Nova System / Fishman Loudbox 100 / Roland Cube 80XL

After many emails, the last response I got says a bug is causing problems with bank dumps. I hope TC is working on this, as well as a few tweaks to the Nova System. I have been gigging with the Nova System for a while now, and think its a good piece of gear. It just needs a few tweaks...

Response (Rune)    02/03/2010 09:08 AM
Dear Dave,

Q: When the Nova System does a "BANK DUMP", does it send only the currently loaded bank of 3 presets, or does it send all user banks and presets?
A: The entire user bank should be dumped when selecting that option. However, it appears that there is a bug in the software that prevents this dump from working correctly. Hopefully it is something that can be resolved in a future software version. The product manager is informed of the issue.

jwoertz wrote:

My Nova System running on version 1.13 will not receive sysex MIDI bulk dumps. So I can back the thing up, but can't restore. TC support says this is a known bug and they are working on a fix, to be released with the next firmware update. Anyone else having this problem, or do you think I just have a defective unit and the support people are just blowing me off?

I just tried reloading the firmware (1.13) a couple of times, and the MIDI bulk receive still doesn't work. Was worth a try!

Martin / Schecter PT  / Fender Strat / TC Nova System / Fishman Loudbox 100 / Roland Cube 80XL

Guys, what's the status of the firmware update with the MIDI bulk dump receive fix? I need to be able to backup AND RESTORE for this thing to stay in my setup.