Topic: Effects loop output impedance issue. What buffer works best

I have searched all over and havent had much luck. I want to recover the tone from my Carvin  legacy2 whilst running the G 4 cable. My understanding is that the effects loop on the L2 is a 10k ohm send. I have put a Boss GE7 EQ before the G in the loop side and it seems to help but it isn't as good as the guitar straight into the amp with nothing in the loop. I fear all I am doing is mask the problem

All of the info I have found has talked about buffers that are first in line right out of the guitar. I am wondering what works best in the effects loop
Valvulator, Radial dragster, Wampler, Klienulator are the units I have read about.

Anybody have an idea on this

Thanks

Re: Effects loop output impedance issue. What buffer works best

racetra wrote:

I have searched all over and havent had much luck. I want to recover the tone from my Carvin  legacy2 whilst running the G 4 cable. My understanding is that the effects loop on the L2 is a 10k ohm send. I have put a Boss GE7 EQ before the G in the loop side and it seems to help but it isn't as good as the guitar straight into the amp with nothing in the loop. I fear all I am doing is mask the problem

All of the info I have found has talked about buffers that are first in line right out of the guitar. I am wondering what works best in the effects loop
Valvulator, Radial dragster, Wampler, Klienulator are the units I have read about.

Anybody have an idea on this

Thanks

If you are putting the buffer between the amp send and the G insert return, I would avoid the Valvulator. The Valvulator sounds great with a guitar plugged into it in front of the G (I use one), but folks who have tried it as a loop buffer have been dissapointed.

If you can find a good passive DI that does not pad the signal, you should try that first. It will be about the same price as the least-expensive of the buffers, and has the advantage of having BALANCED output to help further with signal-quality. If you do this, you'll need an XLR(F)-TRS cable to run between the DI and the G.

Last edited by Laird_Williams (2010-10-18 14:26:33)

Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature
Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor
Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim
Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural

Thanks Laird. I did the cable send to return test and it is not that bad. I am running my Boss GE7 right out of the effects loop send & before a Boss NS2 and it sounds great.

Do you see any problems with that type of setup as opposed to using a DI or Buffer of some sort

Thanks again
T

racetra wrote:

Thanks Laird. I did the cable send to return test and it is not that bad. I am running my Boss GE7 right out of the effects loop send & before a Boss NS2 and it sounds great.

Do you see any problems with that type of setup as opposed to using a DI or Buffer of some sort

Thanks again
T

If it sounds good, then its not worth doing anything about it. Its not like it is going to change as you go from place to place or anything.

Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature
Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor
Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim
Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural