Topic: G System Tuner Accuracy

I'm trying to figure out the specifications on the g system's tuner.  Does anyone know to what cent the tuner is accurate? 

I've been using the korg pitch-black + because it's accurate to 0.1 cent which is as accurate as the Peterson (and much easier to read).  I've got a polytune which is accurate to 0.5 cents.  But how accurate is the built in tuner on the g?  And is the simplified tuner that's always on the display as accurate? 

Any information is appreciated.

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Not true my guitarist tells me that the Korg Pitchblack is only +/- 1 cent accurate. That is a big difference than 0.5 or even 0.1. As to the G no idea however apparently even touching your headstock and resting your fingers on the tuners can skew the result by as much as 2 cents depending on the guitar. You only need this insane accuracy for set ups and intonation.

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Yeah the pitch black isnt as acurate as the Tc stuff. From what i was told the G system is 4 cents. Not 100% sure how true that is, just what I've been told. I didnt see it in the manual so I can't say for sure. But the G system tuner is really accurate. I have the polytune as well and I think they are on the same page. They both tune my guitars alike AND i tune in drop C and B and it reads them fine =-)

Gibson Les Paul Classic,Gibson Explorer X2, PRS Custom 24,PRS Tremonti, Hughes & Kettner Triamp MkII,Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier,2 Mesa Boogie 4x12's,Xotic Ep Booster,Noc3 Puredrive,Tc Electronic Polytune,Dunlop Cbfh Wah,Boss FV500H,Mxr Phase 90,Mxr EVH Phase,Digitech Whammy,Boss Flanger,TREX MAB,Ebtech Hum Eliminator,RJM Amp Gizmo,2 Sennhieser G2 Wireless,2 Isp Noise Decimators,Tc Hall Of Fame

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

smegman wrote:

Not true my guitarist tells me that the Korg Pitchblack is only +/- 1 cent accurate. That is a big difference than 0.5 or even 0.1. As to the G no idea however apparently even touching your headstock and resting your fingers on the tuners can skew the result by as much as 2 cents depending on the guitar. You only need this insane accuracy for set ups and intonation.

Your guitarist would be correct about the pitch-black being accurate to one cent, but the pitch-black + is accurate to 0.1 cents. And after using the pitch black + I'm fine tuning spoiled!  I cant go back.  I know it's a mental thing but it's messing with my confidence not knowing how accurate the G is.

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

lol Yeah I prefer to have a side tuner. I have the boss tu-2 and the polytune, and I keep the poly on my board, and the boss for when I set my intonation and work on my guitars. The g's tuner is good, but I have a parallel fx loop so it bleeds thru so I have to have it =-/

Gibson Les Paul Classic,Gibson Explorer X2, PRS Custom 24,PRS Tremonti, Hughes & Kettner Triamp MkII,Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier,2 Mesa Boogie 4x12's,Xotic Ep Booster,Noc3 Puredrive,Tc Electronic Polytune,Dunlop Cbfh Wah,Boss FV500H,Mxr Phase 90,Mxr EVH Phase,Digitech Whammy,Boss Flanger,TREX MAB,Ebtech Hum Eliminator,RJM Amp Gizmo,2 Sennhieser G2 Wireless,2 Isp Noise Decimators,Tc Hall Of Fame

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

G System users, I have the final answer to this debate.  TC support just emailed me back.  The tuner in the G System is accurate to +/- 2 cents. 

In summation, the G's tuner is pretty crappy.  The only other tuner of note on the market that is worse is that god awful Boss TU-2 which is accurate to 3 cents.  How this became the industry standard is beyond me.  The only two tuners I would consider using are the polytune and the korg pitch-black + (not to be confused with the pitch black).
Happy tuning!

Tuner accuracy:
Peterson strobe .1 cent
Korg pitch-black + .1 cent
Korg pitch black 1 cent
G System 2 cents
Boss TU2 3 cents

Last edited by Badcat21 (2010-08-23 14:48:43)

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Hi,
just to add to the list:
according to the BOSS website, the accuracy of the "new" TU-3 is also +- 1 cent.
With the "standard" rack tuner KORG DTR-2000, it is the same (+- 1 cent).
tc Polytune: +- 0.5 cent

Last edited by Jerry Beck (2010-08-27 14:07:06)

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Hi,

the tuner quality of the g-system would be ok for live use but it is really bad because it's positioned after all the loops. So you can not use it on stage when there is: any loop activated or/and you use the overdrive channel of your amp in the insert.
I've posted this a few times before, but no answer.
The only thing tc would have to do is a software update where all loops  would be automatically switched of when the tuner/bypass is activated. This would do it for me.
They don't get this fixed, or they don't won't to because that is really sipmle to fix.
Every cheap fx unit  tuner I have tried works better live.
So tc build and sell a good and usable external tuner.
But when the g-sys is in the rack you have to run long cables only to use a stomp tuner at your feet. TC, please use your brain!
Again, the quality of the tuner is good I think, but it's not useable on stage.
regards

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

I use the tuner live and i find it's excellent, no problems with it at all.
I used to use a Korg DT10 for many many years, then the tuner in the Line 6 M13 which was awful.
I'm more than happy with the G System tuner for live work.
I see your point about cables, my set up would be so neat if ti wasn't for the two cables running from my rig to my wah wah and back sad

Last edited by BGG (2010-08-30 11:30:09)

--------------------------------------------------
www.myspace.com/slipofthetonguetheband
--------------------------------------------------

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

CodyCass1 wrote:

lol Yeah I prefer to have a side tuner. I have the boss tu-2 and the polytune, and I keep the poly on my board, and the boss for when I set my intonation and work on my guitars. The g's tuner is good, but I have a parallel fx loop so it bleeds thru so I have to have it =-/

Just some advice, but I'd use the polytune over the tu-2 for intonation. I have found the tu-2 to be an awful tuner for any use where accuracy is paramount. It works fine live, precisely because of its lack of precision, making it easy to tune quickly to a 'good enough' level. For setups, I can't recommend a true strobe highly enough.

My gear: X2 Digital Wireless *Radial Dragster *Art PB4x4Pro *G.System *Zoom A2 *Tech21 Blonde *MXR Fullbore Metal *Boss RE20 Space Echo *Boss FV500H *VisualSound Visual Volume *Marshall 6100LM *Marshall 1936 modded cabinet *Paul Iverson custom Tele *Gibson Longhorn *Odyssey neck thru Standard *Ibanez SZ320

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Badcat21 wrote:
smegman wrote:

Not true my guitarist tells me that the Korg Pitchblack is only +/- 1 cent accurate. That is a big difference than 0.5 or even 0.1. As to the G no idea however apparently even touching your headstock and resting your fingers on the tuners can skew the result by as much as 2 cents depending on the guitar. You only need this insane accuracy for set ups and intonation.

Your guitarist would be correct about the pitch-black being accurate to one cent, but the pitch-black + is accurate to 0.1 cents. And after using the pitch black + I'm fine tuning spoiled!  I cant go back.  I know it's a mental thing but it's messing with my confidence not knowing how accurate the G is.

I hear ya. I just picked up a Pitchblack plus. Great unit.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

Hehe.. many varying opinions.
I use a Boss tuner and have never had any issues with it, my tunings always sounded fine to me and my audience (as in they have never mentioned shady tuning to me).. and I've just started using the G System tuner and again it appears to work fine with all my guitars (many of which have vary quality of pegs from top of the range delta series to crappy old vintage strat pegs).
In all honesty I have no idea what cent specs these things come with, means nothing to me.. if it sounds in tune then it works.. if it doesn't I won't buy it/use it... simples smile

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

FloydeIOM wrote:

In all honesty I have no idea what cent specs these things come with, means nothing to me.. if it sounds in tune then it works...

lol
pure honesty. applies to me, too. I'm fine with the G's tuner. no complaints so far.

Guitars: Gibson 57' Les Paul Junior VOS, Procházka Mahogany Tele, Fender Eric Clapton Strat, Ibanez '72 lawsuit LP Custom
Amp: Diezel Einstein Combo w/ Celestion G12-65
Pedals: TC G-System, Orion FX Null Booster, Orion FX Elektro Booster, Fulltone Deja Vibe

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

I use a Peterson Strobe...well...becau$e I already owned it.

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

You guys still use tuners? My ear is perfect... Not even 0.00001 cent off... J/k... I thought the gsys tuner did a great job. Just as good as my PB did.

Re: G System Tuner Accuracy

I've got the G, a Strobostmp and the Polytune... The Polytune led me to the Plek machine, and the Plek led me Earvana nuts.  I have arrived.  wink

G-System rig w/ Nova Drive, Keeley TS9-DX, Blackstone Overdrive, Boogie Mark V
Gits: Yammy SG2000, SG1500, MIJ Jazz Master, Teles++
DAWS: Cubase, Logic, Live, PT